If you’ve never taken defensive driving in Texas, you may be a little unsure about what it is, why you need it, and how it works. To help you feel a little more comfortable with the programs we offer, we have put together a handy guide to help you learn about Texas defensive driving courses.
What is Defensive Driving?
To drive defensively means to drive in a way that protects you, your passengers and other motorists by utilizing a series of safe driving techniques. Tactics like staying focused on the task at hand, preparing for all scenarios, properly maintaining your vehicle, and other techniques help you drive in a defensive manner. When you drive defensively, you are prepared for anything and have a better chance of arriving to your destination in one piece. Defensive driving in Texas is very popular. The state offers incentives that make completing a course very much worth your while. In fact, in 2011, over 700,000 drivers just like you Completed a Texas defensive driving course; maybe it’s time that you did the same!
Why should I take defensive driving in Texas?
It is very beneficial for any driver in Texas to complete a defensive driving course. A few of the Benefits of doing so include:
- Ticket Dismissal: Most courts allow you to dismiss a traffic ticket if you complete defensive driving in Texas. This is a huge benefit because you will keep points off of your Texas driving record. Ticket fines are usually lowered as well, and, you will prevent an auto insurance increase.
- Get an Insurance Discount: Many Texas auto insurance providers offer a discount to policy holders that complete defensive driving in Texas. If you are unsure if your insurance company offers this, contact your agent. This is an easy way to save money every year!
- Become a Better Driver: Even though the other benefits are great, the best incentive should be the fact that taking a Texas defensive driving course will make you a better, safer driver. Protect yourself and your loved ones by learning Safe Driving Techniques; your life might depend on it one day.
What format should I choose?
You can take defensive driving in Texas a few different ways. While the traditional way to complete the program is by attending a classroom course, many are choosing more modern formats these days. Of the 700,000 completions in 2011, nearly 500,000, more than half, chose an Alternate Delivery Method. The options include online and video courses, which are more convenient formats for anyone with a busy schedule. These options allow you to work at your own pace and from your own home. Ultimately, the format you choose should be one that meets your needs best. On this site, we offer a video course program. Defensive driving videos have proven to be the easiest, most user-friendly format available; and of course, the most entertaining!
How do defensive driving video courses work?
If you are taking the course to dismiss a ticket and keep points off of your Texas driving record, you must first inform your traffic court that you will be doing so and get permission. One of the biggest courts in the state, the Houston Municipal Court, details this process in a video from the presiding Judge. Please be advised that not every court will work the same, so be sure to find out exactly how your specific Court works by visiting the website or contacting them directly. Once you have everything squared away with your court you are ready to start with the first step! If you are taking the course for insurance or educational purposes, you are also ready for step one:
- Register: The first thing you’ll need to do is sign-up for the program. The process is normally short, lasting just a few minutes.
- Watch the Videos: Some programs, like Ours, allow you immediate access to stream the videos online. Others only offer physical DVD’s. Either way, the next step is to watch the videos whenever you have the time and answer the short quizzes.
- Submit Proof: Once you have completed the program, you will receive a Certificate of Completion. You’ll simply need to sign it and submit it to the proper agency. Once you’ve turned it in, you’re done!
How do I get started?
Congratulations on making the smart decision to keep your Texas driving record clean, secure an auto insurance discount, and become a better, safer driver! Getting started is very simple- either Register Online or Contact Us to speak with one of our friendly defensive driving experts who can set you up over the phone!